“I developed bronchitis early in my career as I was trying, unsuccessfully, to teach myself to TIG weld aluminum. I phoned OSHA to check on a possible link between my illness and outgassing from the welding process and got an earful from an official. Basically, I learned that I had been inhaling dangerous, potentially cancerous fumes.
I then got fitted with a respirator that could filter out these fumes and continued my welding studies at SCCC. There I was mocked by my fellow classmates for using the respirator until our teacher told us that he was retiring: one of his lungs functioned at only 20% and the other at 80% due to his breathing of welding fumes for 20+ years. After that everybody stopped picking on me!”
Concerns about health hazards artists face while in the studio is not a new thing. Like the welding instructor, many exposures are low level and harmful effects are only determined years later. By paying attention to the messages her body was sending her and taking steps to reduce exposure, Ingrid has been a healthy, professional, practicing artist for many years. Isn’t it time you learned a little more about the hidden chemical hazards in the arts?
Join the Local Hazardous Waste Management Program in King County for their next FREE workshop & brown bag lunch focused on Hidden Hazards in the Arts.
Hidden Hazards in the Arts: Studio Glass
Thursday, May 9, 12-2pm
4Culture, 101 Prefontaine Place South, Seattle, WA 98104
For questions or to RSVP, email or call Dave Waddell at 206-263-3069.