Contract Graphic Designer
SUMMARY OF POSITION
4Culture is hiring a contract graphic designer to create marketing and communications collateral. We love our brand and enjoy using it to promote 4Culture’s programs and initiatives. We are looking for someone that shares our enthusiasm and can take on small-to-medium scale graphic design projects. The majority of the work is to produce print materials such as flyers, signage, templates, and ads. A smaller portion of the work is to create digital graphics for campaigns that promote grants and artists calls. This includes graphics for email marketing, the 4Culture website, social media, and advertising.
As the cultural funding and services agency for King County, Washington, 4Culture works to make the region vibrant. The organization’s four program areas—Arts, Heritage, Historic Preservation, and Public Art—put public resources to use all over King County. The Board, Executive Director, staff, and Advisory Committees are committed to addressing racial, geographic, and income-related funding inequities and creating an environment in which all King County residents participate actively in cultural opportunities. For these reasons, 4Culture recently reimagined its vision, mission, and values as well as designing new policies, practices, and systems to embrace, integrate, and model racial equity and social justice.
4CULTURE'S PROGRAMS AND SERVICES
4Culture funds individual artists, artist groups, and arts organizations that provide access to art experiences for all King County residents and visitors.
4Culture helps communities recognize, preserve, and explore our shared heritage—in all the places where the past meets the present.
4Culture supports the preservation of historic places that give King County its character.
4Culture commissions and collects for the King County Public Art Collection, bringing artists’ thinking to the spaces we share and offering consulting to the region.
PRIMARY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Create print marketing collateral including flyers, brochures, signage, templates, and ads.
- Create digital graphics for email marketing, the 4Culture website, social media, and advertising.
- Track projects by documenting and communicating timelines and scope of work.
- For each project: Create and present several design options to 4Culture staff (if needed) and manage 1-3 rounds of review/approval for a project.
- Assist with arranging print specifications, press proofing, and press checks if necessary.
- BA degree or the equivalent in graphic design or a similar, related field of study.
- 1-3 years relevant graphic design experience with a variety of media.
- Demonstrated typographic, color, and layout abilities, production knowledge, and an understanding of digital production for print.
- Highly skilled with essential design programs, including Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign).
- A portfolio reflecting design abilities, as well as demonstrating creativity and attention to quality and detail.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- A deep appreciation for, understanding of, and commitment to advancing racial equity and social justice.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to function independently, as well as part of a team.
- Design discussion facilitation, negotiation, and presentation skills.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Salesforce.
This is a contract position to run from July 2019 through July 2020 (with potential for renewal). Contractor will work independently providing their own office space and computer and software programs. They are encouraged to attend meetings at 4Culture to work collaboratively with communications team and 4Culture staff. The position reports to the Director of Communications.
The hourly rate for this contract position is $70-$100 per hour depending on experience.
Submit a letter of interest, resumé, and three examples of design work to Christina DePaolo at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The privacy of applicants will be respected and preserved until the last phase of the hiring process. For example, references will be checked during the process of interviewing the finalists and with the applicant’s knowledge.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION
Monday, July 22, 2019, 5:00 pm PST (not a postmark deadline—all submissions must be submitted via email)
NO DISCRIMINATION IN HIRING
4Culture is committed to upholding and promoting equal opportunity in employment. We recognize that diverse perspectives, ideas, cultures, and life experiences of all employees are critical to our success. We are committed to fostering an inclusive workplace that reflects our residents, meets the needs of the communities we serve, and leverages the power of our employee's individual uniqueness. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to creed, age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, the presence of any sensory, mental or physical handicap, honorably discharged veteran or military status, or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal by a person with a disability unless such limitations are necessary for the performance of the role and no less discriminatory alternatives are available.
This information is available in alternative format for persons with disabilities. TTY Relay: 711