- Department: Operations
- Location: 4Culture, 101 Prefontaine Pl S, Seattle, WA 98104
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Salary Range: Full pay range is Grade 18, $78,131-$125,130 annually. Starting range will be $78,131-$101,630. (Includes a competitive package of benefits, including participation in the Washington State Public Employees’ Retirement System)
- Reports to: Bart J. Cannon, Director of Operations
- Apply by: May 19, 2023, 5:00 pm PDT
4Culture is an independent public agency, chartered under state law and King County ordinance in January 2003, after 35 years as the King County Office of Cultural Resources. The ideal candidate for this position champions public support for arts and culture and has demonstrated sustained commitment to advancing racial equity and social justice. As the cultural funding and services agency for King County, Washington, 4Culture works to make the region vibrant. The organization’s four program areas—Arts, Heritage, Historic Preservation, and Public Art—put public resources to use all over King County.
Guided by a vision of a King County in which every person has what they need to explore and create culture, we’re working to become an actively anti-racist organization. We know that this work is urgent and ongoing; as a public agency, we’re committed to being transparent about our successes and failures. 4Culture is part of the system of white supremacy that has historically disadvantaged Black, Indigenous, and other People of Color. We are working to understand systems of structural racism, dismantle them with the tools available to us, and build up something equitable that supports and recognizes the value in cultural expression of all of people, especially those in King County.
About the Role
We are seeking qualified candidates for the position of Controller. This position will work with our finance staff and report directly to 4Culture’s Director of Operations.
You will be most successful in this position if:
- You can effectively implement and monitor all aspects of 4Culture’s fiscal operations, including financial reporting, budget development and tracking, transaction processing, cash management, general ledger account analysis, annual audits, and public disclosure requirements.
- You are knowledgeable about the unique status of 4Culture as the independent Cultural Development Authority of King County and the challenges and responsibilities related to administering lodging tax and 1% Percent for Art funds.
Additionally, you will be prepared to take on this role if you have following experience, abilities, commitments, and skills:
- Advancing racial equity and social justice
- Maintaining high ethical standards in a role dedicated to public service
- Funding, supporting, and advocating for culture to enhance the quality of life in King County
- MIP Fund Accounting’s Abila software
- Financial reporting and audit planning
- General accounting processes, including cash receipts, cash disbursements, payroll, and general ledger maintenance
- Archival records management
- Contracting in the Salesforce platform
- Contract interpretation and administration
- Microsoft Office 365 products, including Teams
- GAAP (Generally Acceptable Accounting Principles), budgeting, project accounting, and governmental accounting
- Managing several projects simultaneously
- Written and oral communication
- Problem solving
Have the ability to:
- Work independently and with 4Culture staff, as well as employees of King County and the Office of the Washington State Auditor, in an effective, congenial, and professional manner
- On occasion, climb ladders, stoop, kneel, squat, crouch, or lift up to 20-pound record boxes
- This position has no supervisory responsibilities but may occasionally oversee interns/volunteers.
- Prepare financial reports, including projections, to the Executive Director, 4Culture Board Finance Committee, staff, and external parties as needed.
- Participate in the development of 4Culture’s biennial budget for 4Culture Board and King County approval, including developing annual budget detail for accounting system entry as well as performing budget to actual analysis and other budget control functions. Budget development includes coordinating with King County Office of Performance Strategy and Budget (PSB) and Public Art Director on Public Art project budgets.
- Undertake general ledger activity, including review and approval of cash disbursements, cash receipts, payroll entries, and reconciliation of bank accounts.
- Provide preparation of journal entries and assistance with daily transaction processing as needed.
- Interpret and implement applicable GAAP, federal, state and local laws, policies, and procedures.
- Implement accounting and/or financial policies and procedures under the direction of 4Culture leadership and as approved by the 4Culture Board.
- Coordinate and serve as primary staff contact for external audits including annual financial audit, biennial compliance audit, and federal single audit as applicable.
- Monitor 4Culture contracting processes, including organizing, tracking, and coding as well as maintaining data sources, fiscal records, and documents.
- Work with public art staff to manage earned income and contractual details related to financials and information connected to consulting sub-agreements.
- Serve as a staff contact for 4Culture contracted financial services, including accounting, payroll, banking, and other services.
- Respond to requests for information from external parties and 4Culture staff. Participate in finance committee and Board meetings as needed.
- Contribute to the overall health and welfare of 4Culture by participating on internal committees that address overarching issues affecting the Operations Department or the agency.
4Culture leadership has the right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time to ensure the success of the organization.
We are looking for candidates that can demonstrate they have the skills listed above through a combination of their work, education, and life experience as demonstrated in their resume, and cover letter.
- Three-five years of experience with fiscal operations and accounting, preferably with government or nonprofit organizations
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or a related field. Active CPA license preferred but not required.
- Position works a 37.5 hour work week, Monday-Friday.
- This position will primarily be onsite 4Culture at 101 Prefontaine Pl S, Seattle, WA. Seattle. This position is hybrid (3 days in the office/2 days remote).
- Occasional early morning, evening and/or weekend hours are required.
- Alternative work arrangements may be considered and will be based on operational needs.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
The full pay range for this position is $78,131-$125,130 annually. The starting range for this position is between $78,131-$101,630. Salary will be negotiated and based on the selected candidate and their experience and includes a competitive package of benefits. It is classified as Regular Full Time, exempt.
Benefits of Working at 4Culture
Working at 4Culture provides the chance to support and learn from the cultural community that makes King County a vibrant region to live in. Our mission affirms a deep commitment to racial equity as we work with our community to end institutional and structural racism. We work toward this goal, while supporting the physical and mental health of all 4Culture employees. Maintaining an appropriate work life balance is essential to our work, and 4Culture prioritizes staff wellness and the continual evolution of a healthy organizational culture.
The perks of working at 4Culture include:
- A 37.5 work week, flex schedule
- 12 days of vacation in the first five years of employment
- 12 days of paid Holiday (including Juneteenth and Indigenous Peoples’ Day)
- Sick leave and 12 weeks of paid Family and Medical Leave after working over 1 year at 4Culture; access to a lactation room.
- Orca transit card
- Attractive comprehensive health insurance package consisting of medical, dental, vision, and basic life and long-term disability insurance for employees.
Apply online no later than May 19, 2023, 5:00 pm PDT. You will need to log in or create a 4Culture account in order to access the application.
Please contact Jackie Mixon at email@example.com if you have any difficulty with this process.
The privacy of applicants will be respected and preserved until the last phase of the hiring process. For example, references will be checked during the process of interviewing the finalists and with the applicant’s knowledge.
No Discrimination in Hiring
4Culture is committed to upholding and promoting equal opportunity in employment. We recognize that diverse perspectives, ideas, cultures, and life experiences of all employees are critical to our success. We are committed to fostering an inclusive workplace that reflects our residents, meets the needs of the communities we serve, and leverages the power of our employee's individual uniqueness. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to creed, age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, the presence of any sensory, mental or physical handicap, honorably discharged veteran or military status, or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal by a person with a disability unless such limitations are necessary for the performance of the role and no less discriminatory alternatives are available.
This information is available in alternative format for persons with disabilities. TTY Relay: 711