Suitcases: Historic Site(s) Specific Performance
August 24 and 25, 10:30 am – 4:00 pm
Snoqualmie Depot, Northwest Railway Museum
38625 SE King Street, Snoqualmie
The Snoqualmie Depot at the Northwest Railway Museum will be the site of Historic Site(s) Specific performances by Kogut Butoh over the weekend of August 24 and 25. Entertaining, imaginative and informative, Suitcases is a free, all-ages continuous event from 10:30 am until 4:00 pm with alternating scenes throughout the depot and on the passenger train. Spectators will have the delightful opportunity to:
- Observe railroad workers and passengers as they circumnavigate the depot
- Enjoy soundscapes in the freight room
- Meet orphans just arriving from back east on the orphan train
- Buy a Suitcases Penny Rag for only 1₵ for news items, puzzles, and cartoons
- Have their passbook stamped on the train by the official Suitcases conductor
- Listen to hoboes telling their tall and true tales
- Join in the Chapel Car’s congregation and hear an inspiring sermon
To learn more about the project visit the Suitcases Site Specific project page.
The Northwest Railway Museum and its historic Depot are part of Destination Heritage, 4Culture’s guide to agricultural, industrial and maritime historic sites. Check out Destination Heritage, soon to be featured on Map 4Culture along with the King County Public Art Collection.
Historic Site(s) Specific is the most recent incarnation of 4Culture’s innovative Site Specific program, funded in part by a grant from the National Endowment for the arts. A collaboration between our Arts, Heritage and Preservation programs, Historic Site(s) Specific supports individuals and groups to work collaboratively with historic sites on projects that explore and reflect the history and places of King County. These range from installation to performance to digital. All engage the public.
To learn more about the Site Specific Program visit the new website. Applications for both Historic Sites and Historic Site(s) Specific Project Proposals are now open.
Joan Laage, Suitcases © 2013 Kaoru Okumura