Seattle Music Partners
Band/Orchestra Teaching Artist
Seattle Music Partners seeks Teaching Artists for 4th/5th grade band and orchestra students for 2019-2020 school year.
Seattle Music Partners cultivates a diverse and vibrant music-making community by providing youth with free music instruction and one-on-one mentoring to eliminate racial and economic barriers to quality music education.
The Teaching Artists will teach instrumental sectionals to classes of 3-12 beginning string/wind/percussion players in 4th or 5th grade. Each TA is assigned to instruments that align with their own expertise, with a few exceptions. In addition, you may be asked to serve as a Lesson Supervisor to oversee local volunteers (mostly high school musicians) who will teach 1:1 private lessons with the same students.
The successful applicant will be joining a community of musicians who are passionate about exploring and building the connections between music and social justice, who are dedicated to continual growth and learning, who strive to build strong relationships with young musicians and their families, and who enjoy the challenges of both collaborative and individual work.
• Leading group/ensemble classes during after-school hours
• Participating in professional development, staff planning sessions, and other regular meetings
• Assisting with program activities
• Helping to organize and participating in student performances
• Mentoring students
• Provide weekly feedback to SMP regarding ensemble’s progress
• At least 3 years teaching experience, experience teaching groups, and/or relevant teaching certification, or collegiate student teaching
• Enthusiasm for teaching in an ensemble setting
• Passion for working with elementary students
• Commitment to positive reinforcement as an approach
• Commitment to equity
• Commitment to communicating with students, families, teachers and staff
• Understanding and awareness of different life experiences
• Good classroom management skills
More Information: www.seattlemusicpartners.org