Exhibits Fabrication Manager
- Budget: $25-$29/hour
• Responsible for exhibit fabrication, production, and installation.
• Work in coordination with the Exhibits team in the design and development of all MOHAI in-house and traveling exhibits, including developing and detailing fabrication methods and materials for exhibit components.
• Fabricate exhibit furniture, casework, wall systems, fixtures and mounts as needed.
• Oversee gallery preparation, including carpentry, painting, rigging, lighting, A/V, and temporary wall systems.
• Supervise installation and de-installation of exhibit experiences, including proper handling, and coordinate necessary transportation.
• Supervise part-time production and installation crews.
• Manage the exhibits workshops at the museum and the MOHAI Resource Center.
• In coordination with the Exhibit Designer, develop annual and long-term exhibit fabrication workplans and budgets.
• Purchase and maintain supplies and shop materials, including paint, tools, and hardware.
• Move and store exhibit fixtures and objects, including operation of stock picker, box truck, and heavy lifting as needed. Occasional work with Collections Resources team to move and transport artifacts.
• Exhibits maintenance, including troubleshooting A/V and computer interactives; cleaning and repair of exhibits as needed.
• Working with the Facilities team, carry out museum maintenance directly related to visitor experiences including lighting, signage, and repairs.
• At least five years of experience with exhibits fabrication and installation, preferably in a museum environment.
• Technical education in a related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Carpentry, lighting, and fabrication skills, and experience with woodworking and metal working tools and equipment.
• Ability to diagnose A/V and computer-related exhibits problems.
• Experience working around museum artifacts and familiarity with collections care standards.
More Information: mohai.org