Gallery 4Culture has a forty-plus year history of presenting innovative and underrepresented artists and art forms in solo and small-group exhibitions.
1 What is Gallery 4Culture?
1 What is Gallery 4Culture?
Gallery 4Culture showcases contemporary art, presenting the work of outstanding independent artists living in King County. Our 1,000-square-foot exhibition space is located on the street level of the 4Culture administrative offices in the heart of Seattle’s Pioneer Square neighborhood and is open weekdays from 9:00am to 5:00pm. Opening receptions take place on First Thursday, as part of the ever-popular art walk. For more information about the gallery program and past exhibitions, visit our main gallery page.
Gallery 4Culture seeks solo, collaborative and group exhibition proposals in a broad range of media for our next season, which runs from September 2024 through July 2025. Ten (10) month-long shows by King County-based artists will ultimately be presented. The gallery is dark in December and August. Emerging artists and those whose approach to studio practice is underrepresented in commercial venues are encouraged to apply. Installation and site-responsive artwork will be prioritized.
Selected artists, teams and groups receive curatorial direction, communications/PR support, and a $1,000 honorarium to help defray expenses. Artists are responsible for the delivery, installation and de-installation of their work, and for supplying and insuring all electronic equipment used in their show. The gallery space is adjacent to a busy conference room and open office; consequently, the sound levels of audio components will be restricted. While Gallery 4Culture is not a commercial venue, exhibiting artists are welcome to offer their works for sale. Any sale of art is handled directly between the artist and collector; 4Culture takes no commission.
2 Are You Eligible?
2 Are You Eligible?
- Visual artists, collaborative teams and artist groups working in all media and genres (except performance art) are eligible to apply.
- Applicants, including all group or team members, must reside in King County, WA.
- Applicants may not be represented by a commercial art gallery at the time of submission. Members of artist run collectives and cooperative galleries are welcome to apply.
- Artists who have exhibited at Gallery 4Culture in solo or 2-person shows are ineligible to reapply for a period of three seasons.
- Current 4Culture Board members, Advisory Committee members, employees, and the business partners and immediate family members of all the above are not eligible to apply.
3 How to Apply
3 How to Apply
Applicants must submit the following materials via online application.
Your profile in our application portal must provide demographic information for the current year. We use this information to help us understand how well we are doing in our efforts to reach all communities in King County.
Contact information for yourself or all members of your team, if applying as a team.
Two-page maximum artist résumé as a PDF. Text (.txt) files will also be accepted. Keep the formatting simple. Artist teams should upload one document with two-page résumés for each team member. Files must be less than 2 MB in size.
Some suggested items to include in your artist résumé include:
- Contact information: At the top of each page, include your name, address, phone number, email address and web URL.
- Education: List all academic degrees earned. Also include periods of study at schools or universities attended without completing a degree.
- Professional experience:
Exhibitions: List the title of the exhibition, the exhibition venue, and the city/state where the exhibition was presented. Please indicate if it was a solo, two-person, or group exhibition.
Experience: You may also consider listing experience that is relevant to your art practice such as teaching, lectures and artist residencies.
- Honors and awards: List awards, grants, fellowships or other recognitions of merit.
- Bibliography: List books, magazines, newspapers, and catalogues that reference your work.
A written statement (up to 300 words) that includes an overview of your art practice and describes the content and scope of your proposed exhibition. Please be explicit about medium and method and expand on the concept behind the exhibition. Also, clarify if your submitted work samples represent the proposed exhibition or vary significantly from it (if so, explain). In the case of collaborative teams or artist groups, be specific about your objectives for exhibiting together.
Submit 10 total work samples of recent work that best illustrate your qualifications to exhibit. Work samples 1-7 should be digital images; work samples 8-10 may be either digital images OR video/audio URLs (Artists whose primary practice includes time-based media may include up to 3 links to audio or video files, with a cumulative run-time of up to 3 minutes).
- Digital images: upload JPG files only; 1920 pixels on the longest side (suggested), at least 72 dpi, and less than 2MB in size. If applying as a collaborative team or group, include an example of each member’s work.
- Audio/Video: submit up to 3 URLs to audio or video files of recent work that best illustrate your qualifications via SoundCloud, Vimeo, or YouTube. Indicate the specific URLs (e.g., soundcloud.com/29523 or vimeo.com/2992575). All submissions must be publicly accessible (password protected files will not be accepted). Audio and video files will be viewed for a cumulative total of 3 minutes and must be edited to conform to this time limitation or include start and stop times.
- Work sample descriptions: List the title, date of completion, medium, and dimensions (H” x W” x D”) or duration (HH:MM:SS), along with descriptive text (up to 75 words) for each work sample. If applying as a collaborative team or group, note who created the work. Please include the start and stop times for excerpted video samples at the beginning of the descriptive text.
Applications must be submitted by 4:00 pm PST on Thursday, December 14, 2023. Do not wait until the last minute! We strongly encourage you to submit your application early.
Translation and Assistance
The guidelines, a detailed explanation of how to apply, and the application are in English. If this is a barrier that stops you from understanding the grant or applying due to limited English writing ability, visual impairment, or you would like to request assistance to create an application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (206) 296-7580 or TTY 711, and we will make sure you get the support you need.
Las pautas, la explicación detallada de cómo enviar la solicitud y la solicitud están en inglés. Si esto le impide comprender la información relacionada con la beca o enviar una solicitud debido a una limitación en la capacidad para escribir en inglés, si tiene una discapacidad visual o si desea recibir asistencia para crear una solicitud, escriba a email@example.com o llame al (206) 296-7580 o TTY 711, y nos aseguraremos de que obtenga la ayuda que necesita.
详细说明如何申请的指南以及申请本身均使用英文。如果由于英语写作能力有限、视力障碍而妨碍您对本资助的了解或申请，或者您希望请求协助来完成申请，请发送电子邮件至 firstname.lastname@example.org 或致电 (206) 296-7580 或 TTY (听障专线) 711 联系，我们会确保您获得所需的支持
Руководство, подробная инструкция и форма заявки на английском языке. Если вам сложно разобраться в процедуре получения грантов или подачи заявок из-за ограниченных навыков письменного английского языка либо нарушений зрения, а также если вы бы хотели обратиться за помощью при составлении заявки, отправьте письмо на адрес электронной почты email@example.com или позвоните по номеру (206) 296-7580 или 711 (телетайп), и мы позаботимся о том, чтобы вы получили необходимую помощь.
Hướng dẫn, giải thích chi tiết về cách nộp đơn va tài liệu áp dụng tất cả đều bằng Tiếng Anh. Nếu đây là rào cản khiến quý vị không hiểu được khoản trợ cấp hoặc cách nộp đơn do khả năng viết tiếng Anh hạn chế, do quý vị bị suy giảm thị lực hoặc muốn yêu cầu hỗ trợ để tạo đơn đăng ký, làm ơn liên hệ firstname.lastname@example.org hoặc gọi (206) 296-7580 hay TTY 711 và chúng tôi sẽ hỗ trợ những gì quý vị cần.
Tilmaamaha, sharaxaadda faahfaahsan ee ku saabsan sida loo codsado, iyo waraaqda codsiga waxa ay dhammaan ku qoran yihiin Af-Ingiriisi. Haddii ay arrintani tahay caqabad kaa hor istaageysa fahamka deeqda ama codsashada oo ay sabab u tahay awoodda qorista Af-Ingiriisiga oo xadidan, araggaaga oo liita, ama aad jeclaan lahayd inaad codsato in lagaa caawiyo in aad codsi sameyso, fadlan la xiriir email@example.com ama wac (206) 296-7580 ama TTY 711, waxaana xaqiijin doonnaa inaad hesho taageerada aad u baahan tahay.
4 After You Submit
4 After You Submit
Selection Process and Criteria
A selection panel of three independent arts professionals will review submitted applications and recommend artists for the upcoming gallery season based on the conceptual quality of their proposals as well as the strength of their work. Résumés and work samples must clearly demonstrate the candidate’s capacity to successfully execute the proposed exhibition. The panel will strive to highlight a range of media and approaches to contemporary art-making. Cultural and geographic diversity (within King County) will also be considered. The composition of the panel changes every year; thus, applicants whose proposals were reviewed but not selected in previous years are encouraged to reapply.
Submission deadline: December 14, 2023, 4:00 pm PST
Selection panel review: mid-January 2024
Notification of results: early-February 2024